RMT Safety Guidelines Recommended by the Registered Massage Therapists Association (RMTBC), The College of Massage Therapists (CMTBC) and the Provincial Health Officer pertaining to COVID-19 Pandemic
Prior to Arrival
- Text my cell 250-468-1482, five minutes prior that you have arrived. I will respond back to you when I am ready and will come out and get you to bring you into the Therapy Room. During Fall/Winter so you don’t get cold, please wait in your car until your scheduled appointment time.
- Before entering, you will be asked a brief COVID-19 screening questionnaire for the safety of the therapist and other patients.
- If you have a mask with you please put it on before entering premise. The mask will have to be worn for the duration of treatment with the exception of lying face down on the treatment table. I will be wearing a mask for the duration of your treatment as well. If you do not have a mask, I will provide you with one.
- Mask Safety and Adjusting your mask: Please wear a two-layer mask with a “nose pinch” and make sure that your mask does not slip off of your nose during treatment. If you touch your mask to readjust, please try and do this by using a tissue to move it or by touching the sides of the mask only. If you touch the front accidentally, please use additional hand sanitizer immediately after.
- If you are a new patient and able, please complete your paperwork (intake form) prior to arrival. This prevents having to clean clipboards and pens.
- Unless required for mobility or personal assistance, patients are asked to come into the facility alone and not bring spouses or children where possible. This is important to promote social distancing in the treatment room.
Prior to Treatment
- If you are a NEW PATIENT, you will be required to complete a “consent to treat” form with me prior to treatment. The consent process involves me outlining my treatment structure and giving you time for questions so you understand and feel comfortable with the treatment process.
Upon Entering the Clinic
- Sanitize you hands with the solution provided before and after treatment.
- Washrooms will be closed at this time, so please try and go to the bathroom before your treatment at home. For emergencies, the washroom will be open and your are to follow the protocol on the sign posted in the washroom for washing your hands.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before and after using the facilties. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry. Take one of the towels provided to dry your hands and place in the laundry basket adjacent to the clean towels. Open the door with another towel and place in the basket provided. The doorknobs will be cleaned prior and after use so please inform me if you have used the facilities.
- All surfaces that are touched daily are disinfected. (This includes massage therapy table, doorknobs, light switches, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and bathroom surfaces minimize transmission of COVID-19).
- I have a heat pump for my clinic with an intake and outake vent directly located in the treatment room. The HVAC filter is changed every 3 months to proper air circulation/hygiene.
- A towel will be placed on the office bench for you to sit down on and you can place your clothes and personal materials on this surface.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth or mask during treatment if possible. If you do, please re-sanitize your hands.
- Where possible during treatment, keep 2 meters or 6 feet apart (social distancing).
- Patients are spaced every half hour to enable me to disinfect surfaces prior to your arrival. Please try and be on time for your appointment.
- Payment can be made by e-transfer following your session or if you chose to pay by credit card, the Moneris terminal at my office offers tap on the touch screen.
- Avoid touching any unnecessary surfaces during treatment and if accidentally occurs, please advise and I will clean.
Illness Amongst Close Contacts
If a close contact, a spouse, those you live with or your child becomes ill stay home and self-isolate with your family. There is no penalty for cancelling if you or a close contact becomes ill. Care for yourself and your family following the instructions from the BC Centre for Disease Control:
Only return to contact when:
• Your close contact has been tested and the results for COVID-19 come back negative and you are well.
• OR after self-isolating for 14 days and having no symptoms or fever develop.
• OR being cleared by a public health official.
SELF PRE-CLINIC SYMPTOM SCREEN (complete 24-48 hour prior to arrival for your appointment)
24 to 48 hours prior to your appointment, please complete the BC COVID-19 Symptom Self-Assessment. If the self-assessment tool instructs you to book a test for COVID-19 and self-isolate, and/or to call 8-1-1, do not book the massage therapy appointment until you are cleared of risk of COVID-19.
MANDATORY CLINIC QUESTIONNAIRE
For my safety and other patients, you will be required to answer the following questions before entry to my clinic. This is Standard Protocol recommended by the RMTBC, CMTBC and the Provincial Health Officer to keep everyone as safe as we can.
These are the following questions that will be asked as part of a thorough COVID-19 Screening before your appointment:
- Are you experiencing any of the following: a fever, a new cough, a worsening chronic cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing?
- Have you had close contact with anyone with acute respiratory illness or have you travelled outside of Canada in the past 14 days?
- Do you have a confirmed case of COVID-19 or had close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19?
- Do you have 2 or more of the following symptoms: Sore throat, runny nose/sneezing, nasal congestion, hoarse voice, difficulty swallowing, decrease or loss of sense of smell, chills, headaches, unexplained fatigue/malaise, diarrhea, abdominal pain, or nausea/vomiting?
- If you are over 65 years of age are you experiencing any of the following: delirium, falls, acute functional decline, or worsening of chronic conditions?